Friday, June 14, 2013

Dog Byte- Let It Fly Project

My afternoon with Dog Byte, another huge name in the street art scene.
I wasn't sure what to expect when I got to Jimmy's house for the latest installment of the Let It Fly project. When I heard it was going to be Dog Byte, a bunch of questions popped into my head.
Would he be in a mask? Would he not speak? Was I not supposed to look directly at his face!?!?!?!? WHAT!?!?!? You see, I have been intrigued by the people behind the art for the past couple of years. I love being able to just "know" that so and so is really SO and SO, you know? Not for any real purpose other then sort of an inside joke. I know that you know that I know that you know that you are SO and SO... It's just cool that sometimes you would never know some of these regular people are night time art vigilantes with a whole other huge persona out there.
When it comes down to it though, nine times out of ten when I get to shake someone's hand and sit for a minute and have a conversation about the randomest life things- they are good people. Being around a variety of creatives who's main goal is to share their art and make you see something you may not have thought of before is an amazing experience. This brings me to hanging out at Jimmy's house once a month (at least).
Around the 1st of the month for the past 9 months or so, there has been a flurry of activity on this little block in Burbank. The artist, some friends, some fans, some cameras and a whole lot of cold cuts come together for an afternoon of art making. This will continue through Sept or Oct... depending on how the flow goes.
This is how I found Dog Byte on the 1st of June. It was a HOT Saturday late morning and I walked up and he was already working hard at it. Huge stencils, spray cans, nuts & bolts everywhere- it was an outdoor studio.
There he was, big smile on his face Mr. Dog Byte. Sweet as pie and a good egg, we had a great afternoon (albeit a hot one). His piece entitled Space Race is his newest design and this was it's big debut.
He was over at the house earlier in the week setting up the background for the stencil, and it really set it off. The textured black and white wall was the perfect scene for the spaceman. Very little color was used in this piece yet it speaks volumes.
 
The work is hanging on the front of the house and free for all to drive by and enjoy it. Come July 1st, a whole new piece will be going up. Once the set is complete, there will no doubt be a show somewhere, keep an eye on the Facebook page for updates. This project is a labor of love for Jimmy and his whole family actually- they have given over their home for the sake of art!
Check out the Let It Fly Project on Facebook and see who's up next!
a note on Jimmy:
Jimmy is an awesome guy. There are many words you can use to describe Jimmy- but I think my favorite would be advocate. It's described as one that supports or promotes the interests of another. And that is him 100%. Jim is Gianni's dad. Gianni is THEFL. An amazing artist himself and good guy, I met Gianni through the love of street art. I met Jimmy soon after. I learned about this project going on and miracle of miracles- it happens to be but a few blocks away from where I live!

0 comments:

Post a Comment